Saturday, October 22, 2005
Hey guys, I have been catching up on the news lately and realized that they are many calamities happening around us. Earthquake in Pakistan, Hurricane Wilma approaching, outbreak of Bird flu in turkey which is spreading across the whole of Europe, floods, famines etc. This has been the topic very much talked about during my conversations with many people, including ivy; and I thought I should just share my thoughts with you guys.
For once, let’s put away our focus, our goals, our dreams and targets in life. I am not excluding myself in this context but I feel all of us (the human race in general) have been too ignorant and oblivious to the things that are happening around us, epitomized especially by us Singaporeans, who never 'have the chance' to step out of the comfort zone.
What do we actually do when we heard of such disasters happening? Nothing. Probably our only few reactions would be ' huh? So jialat ah?' or ' how many people die? Wah so many!' and the worst of the worst, ' isi't? I didn’t know.' After that, we just go back to our lives, proceed on with achieving our goals. The world is ending, true enough. But I think its ending not because of the devastating effects these disasters brought upon us; the world is ending because there’s simply no heart in us humans anymore. World without compassion equals to an ending world. Humanity? I think we have. But sad to say, its just to our families, our close friends, our bosses in the future maybe, and to people that in one way or another whom may benefits us. Probably this is an understatement that will cause a lot of unhappiness to many that read it. But that’s how I feel. Sometimes u can say, the spirit is willing to move and give, but the flesh is often all too weak. Probably this feeling is just one of real hypocrisy.
All of us were brought up from good and wonderful families. Moral teachings, righteousness, family values, filial piety, results, career and future are all taught to us. But hey, do u guys remember your parents saying, 'boy, when you are 4 years old mummy will bring you to Africa to help the people there'? No offense to any of you parents because I think they are all great. I never exclude my parents also. What I am trying to say is that society has changed the human heart and nature from what it is supposed to be. Materialism has snatched us from humanity. Goals, focus, success and self achievement have all blinded us from compassion.
When disasters happened, most of the helpers and volunteers are from the country itself, simply because they are directly affected by it. Other countries help, but more often than not many economical and political reasons are behind it. Only a minority of people help because they simply want to.
Seriously, there is nothing wrong with the way we are living now, all of us deserved a pack on the back from being who we are now. Family, friends, studies we have been putting in our outmost effort, leaving no stones unturned, no questions and doubts to the commitments that you guys have put it.
I am writing now, seating comfortably on my chair typing on a laptop, moments later you guys will be sitting in your best comfortable position to read this stupid ranting of mine. Probably at the same time, many people are dying out there, losing their loved ones.
So what can we conclude from this? Any new resolutions? Probably not. Not even for me. We will just off the computers and go back to our daily lives and routines.
Alright guys, now you can take your focus, your goals, your dreams and targets back into your life.
For once, let’s put away our focus, our goals, our dreams and targets in life. I am not excluding myself in this context but I feel all of us (the human race in general) have been too ignorant and oblivious to the things that are happening around us, epitomized especially by us Singaporeans, who never 'have the chance' to step out of the comfort zone.
What do we actually do when we heard of such disasters happening? Nothing. Probably our only few reactions would be ' huh? So jialat ah?' or ' how many people die? Wah so many!' and the worst of the worst, ' isi't? I didn’t know.' After that, we just go back to our lives, proceed on with achieving our goals. The world is ending, true enough. But I think its ending not because of the devastating effects these disasters brought upon us; the world is ending because there’s simply no heart in us humans anymore. World without compassion equals to an ending world. Humanity? I think we have. But sad to say, its just to our families, our close friends, our bosses in the future maybe, and to people that in one way or another whom may benefits us. Probably this is an understatement that will cause a lot of unhappiness to many that read it. But that’s how I feel. Sometimes u can say, the spirit is willing to move and give, but the flesh is often all too weak. Probably this feeling is just one of real hypocrisy.
All of us were brought up from good and wonderful families. Moral teachings, righteousness, family values, filial piety, results, career and future are all taught to us. But hey, do u guys remember your parents saying, 'boy, when you are 4 years old mummy will bring you to Africa to help the people there'? No offense to any of you parents because I think they are all great. I never exclude my parents also. What I am trying to say is that society has changed the human heart and nature from what it is supposed to be. Materialism has snatched us from humanity. Goals, focus, success and self achievement have all blinded us from compassion.
When disasters happened, most of the helpers and volunteers are from the country itself, simply because they are directly affected by it. Other countries help, but more often than not many economical and political reasons are behind it. Only a minority of people help because they simply want to.
Seriously, there is nothing wrong with the way we are living now, all of us deserved a pack on the back from being who we are now. Family, friends, studies we have been putting in our outmost effort, leaving no stones unturned, no questions and doubts to the commitments that you guys have put it.
I am writing now, seating comfortably on my chair typing on a laptop, moments later you guys will be sitting in your best comfortable position to read this stupid ranting of mine. Probably at the same time, many people are dying out there, losing their loved ones.
So what can we conclude from this? Any new resolutions? Probably not. Not even for me. We will just off the computers and go back to our daily lives and routines.
Alright guys, now you can take your focus, your goals, your dreams and targets back into your life.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]