Sunday, November 16, 2008
Random
Dear all,
I still remember that when I was young, I used to wear a t-shirt which says,” When I do right, no one remembers. When I do wrong, no one forgets.” Also, Warren Buffet says that it takes 25 years to build a good reputation, and 5 minutes to destroy it. How true.
As we grow older, are we becoming overly critical of people around us, and sometimes even ourselves? Given that many things in life is a matter of perception, why don’t we learn to give the people close to us, and ourselves, the benefit of the doubt?
I always think that if all of us learn to treat our friends the way we treat our girlfriends, things will work out better. Not in the sense of going out and talking everyday, but in the way that we give chances, overlooking the flaws and focusing on the virtues, giving the benefit of the doubt, and communicating.
SQ shared with me this incident he saw on the MRT: There was a young couple standing right in front of the door in a crowded MRT, refusing to move in or out. When one frustrated woman behind them decided to leave the train and gave the boy a shove and a ‘TSK’, the boy got really angry and started cursing,” Singaporeans nowadays! Getting more and more inconsiderate. Doesn’t she realise that if we were to move in, we will have so much difficulty leaving the train and may miss our stop? &$*&#@*&!!”
Honestly, the boy is not entirely wrong. I think this is a pretty amusing situation which illustrates what most of us are guilty of: that we sometimes focus too much on others, but not on ourselves.
I learn to use a magnifying glass to look at people’s virtues, and a ‘minifying glass’ at their flaws, and I found that it helps.
All the best to everyone for your exams!
Songjie
I still remember that when I was young, I used to wear a t-shirt which says,” When I do right, no one remembers. When I do wrong, no one forgets.” Also, Warren Buffet says that it takes 25 years to build a good reputation, and 5 minutes to destroy it. How true.
As we grow older, are we becoming overly critical of people around us, and sometimes even ourselves? Given that many things in life is a matter of perception, why don’t we learn to give the people close to us, and ourselves, the benefit of the doubt?
I always think that if all of us learn to treat our friends the way we treat our girlfriends, things will work out better. Not in the sense of going out and talking everyday, but in the way that we give chances, overlooking the flaws and focusing on the virtues, giving the benefit of the doubt, and communicating.
SQ shared with me this incident he saw on the MRT: There was a young couple standing right in front of the door in a crowded MRT, refusing to move in or out. When one frustrated woman behind them decided to leave the train and gave the boy a shove and a ‘TSK’, the boy got really angry and started cursing,” Singaporeans nowadays! Getting more and more inconsiderate. Doesn’t she realise that if we were to move in, we will have so much difficulty leaving the train and may miss our stop? &$*&#@*&!!”
Honestly, the boy is not entirely wrong. I think this is a pretty amusing situation which illustrates what most of us are guilty of: that we sometimes focus too much on others, but not on ourselves.
I learn to use a magnifying glass to look at people’s virtues, and a ‘minifying glass’ at their flaws, and I found that it helps.
All the best to everyone for your exams!
Songjie
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]