Thursday, October 18, 2007
Paris 9
Tomorrow, 18th October, is the day when the French are going to have a strike. A massive one. One that happens once a year. Reason? Because they are unhappy with some of the government’s policies, and some people are losing some of the advantages they used to enjoy. All the public transport including the RER, Metro and bus are going to stop till Friday morning. And the best part? Laura is coming to Paris tomorrow.
I could have been more prepared when I was planning Laura’s arrival with her, but seriously how could I have expected a strike when I have never encountered any in Singapore? Right now, I have booked a shuttle which costs quite expensive for our transport from the airport. I just hope that the strike will end on Friday, as it is not confirmed yet. If not, Laura and I have got to get ourselves ready for a massive workout for our weekend trips.
I knew about this strike a few days ago, but only got to know it in depth when I spoke to a person from the bank I opened an account with. I asked her why is it that the people are allowing this to happen as this is going to cause so much inconvenience? She said this is because in France, people have liberty to choose if they want to work or not. And some people do support the strike! She said it with a matter of fact expression and I guess she may be one of the supporters as well. The strike is not going to be anything violent, just that people do not work, and it is permitted as long as the public is informed about it, so that people can plan their holidays better. Haha! And she asked me if I was excited to see my first strike in France. Well I would be if Laura is not coming over to Paris for the weekend! But it is just such a coincidence! I would be snapping some photos of the strike though.
I hope things will become better.
I could have been more prepared when I was planning Laura’s arrival with her, but seriously how could I have expected a strike when I have never encountered any in Singapore? Right now, I have booked a shuttle which costs quite expensive for our transport from the airport. I just hope that the strike will end on Friday, as it is not confirmed yet. If not, Laura and I have got to get ourselves ready for a massive workout for our weekend trips.
I knew about this strike a few days ago, but only got to know it in depth when I spoke to a person from the bank I opened an account with. I asked her why is it that the people are allowing this to happen as this is going to cause so much inconvenience? She said this is because in France, people have liberty to choose if they want to work or not. And some people do support the strike! She said it with a matter of fact expression and I guess she may be one of the supporters as well. The strike is not going to be anything violent, just that people do not work, and it is permitted as long as the public is informed about it, so that people can plan their holidays better. Haha! And she asked me if I was excited to see my first strike in France. Well I would be if Laura is not coming over to Paris for the weekend! But it is just such a coincidence! I would be snapping some photos of the strike though.
I hope things will become better.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]