Friday, October 12, 2007
Paris 4
Slowly but surely, things start to settle down. I have a roof over my head, cooked rice and pork yesterday, which was one of the best dinners I’ve made for myself, and now looking forward to the Chinese buffet for 12.50 Euros I saw at Chinatown a few days ago, making it a point to have the buffet once every 2 weeks to make up for the ‘missing oriental touch’ in my meals these days. It has fried rice, sweet and sour pork, hainancse steamed chicken and ginger sliced fish, haha and I’m looking forward to eating all of them soon.
I have not got to try the authentic French food, like foie gras and such, and will be looking forward to try them too with Laura when she comes over to Paris next Thursday. They will be expensive, but no harm giving them a try. I have lost some weight I think, as food here is expensive. But now that I can cook, it is cheaper and I’m sure I’ll start putting on weight again haha.
There are some interesting things to note about Paris. Like almost every one owns a dog. And there are dog shit and urine all around. There is a statistic that shows the number of people who enter the hospital each year because they slept on dog shit. Yet after 2 weeks here I have not seen a single pet shop yet. There are plenty of pigeons here, and the crows here are big and stocky. If you thought those in Singapore are big, check out the ones in Paris. But they are less annoying here. Everything is in the opposite direction as Singapore. On the escalators, if you want to stand you should be on the right. The fast lanes on the express way are on the left. If someone goes through a door before you, they always hold them for you even if they have to wait for you for some time. This is one of the few gracious things about them. The apartments here are mainly 6 storey max, and most of them do not have lifts. The French are more reserved than other Europeans, hence giving them the aloof feel. Most French are good looking like Hollywood stars, and they always dress up well. I saw a girl and a guy on the Metro that day and they looked like the models in magazines. Almost everything is slow here, except the Metro which is really fast in its frequency. Sometimes the Metro will stop for awhile and I wonder if the next Metro will ram into the one I’m on. And the French students here? They are hardworking! The library is most of the times, packed with students. It is not difficult to find Chinese food here, but they are costly. I bought fried rice, chicken and sweet and sour pork and they cost 9 Euros! The French likes speaking French, not English. And if you can speak French to them, they’ll appreciate it.
Now that everything is more settled, I have more time for myself and to explore. How are you my friends? Projects and exams are coming, and I wish you all the best!
Songjie
I have not got to try the authentic French food, like foie gras and such, and will be looking forward to try them too with Laura when she comes over to Paris next Thursday. They will be expensive, but no harm giving them a try. I have lost some weight I think, as food here is expensive. But now that I can cook, it is cheaper and I’m sure I’ll start putting on weight again haha.
There are some interesting things to note about Paris. Like almost every one owns a dog. And there are dog shit and urine all around. There is a statistic that shows the number of people who enter the hospital each year because they slept on dog shit. Yet after 2 weeks here I have not seen a single pet shop yet. There are plenty of pigeons here, and the crows here are big and stocky. If you thought those in Singapore are big, check out the ones in Paris. But they are less annoying here. Everything is in the opposite direction as Singapore. On the escalators, if you want to stand you should be on the right. The fast lanes on the express way are on the left. If someone goes through a door before you, they always hold them for you even if they have to wait for you for some time. This is one of the few gracious things about them. The apartments here are mainly 6 storey max, and most of them do not have lifts. The French are more reserved than other Europeans, hence giving them the aloof feel. Most French are good looking like Hollywood stars, and they always dress up well. I saw a girl and a guy on the Metro that day and they looked like the models in magazines. Almost everything is slow here, except the Metro which is really fast in its frequency. Sometimes the Metro will stop for awhile and I wonder if the next Metro will ram into the one I’m on. And the French students here? They are hardworking! The library is most of the times, packed with students. It is not difficult to find Chinese food here, but they are costly. I bought fried rice, chicken and sweet and sour pork and they cost 9 Euros! The French likes speaking French, not English. And if you can speak French to them, they’ll appreciate it.
Now that everything is more settled, I have more time for myself and to explore. How are you my friends? Projects and exams are coming, and I wish you all the best!
Songjie
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]