Monday, December 05, 2005
All these days working with children and their parents made me see some pertinent aspects of life that I would like share with all my brothers and sisters.
Now, part of my job is to help out in the activities sessions held by the organisers. Some of the activities include colouring contests, clay making workshops, mask making workshops and a small compeitition called "Dino Morphing" contest, which I'm in charge of.
Well basically, the objective of the contest is to "transform" the toy from a robot to an animal within the shortest amount of time. The speediest compeititor will walk away with the toy itself. So i thought to myself, right, it's just a toy, the response shouldn't be that difficult to handle.
How wrong was I.
On the contrary, so many children spurred by their parents or by their own desire registered for this contest. Moreover, these children come repeatedly everyday to try their luck.
Many children are not very well off. And through interaction with their parents, they can't really afford these toys. The trend is that, these parents usually have a lot of children, tallying at 3 or more. We would think that they should really stop conceiving when they can't even afford to have more children. But why are they continuing to have children? Why are they allowing their children to have a poor life when they jolly well know that they cannot afford it?
This thought has been lingering in my mind the entire week. Not only the malay community, the chinese community as well. It saddens me to see that their children can't enjoy the things that other children enjoy, or get the same opportunities to learn that other kids have.
Furthermore, these children usually have lack of parental attention and begin wandering in shoopping malls. I got to know 4 malay boys who came to take part in the activities and contests together. Their parents were no where to be seen.
These 4 malay boys are really loud and mischievous and some even sprouted Hokkien expletives. Appalled but undaunted, I had to exert a bit of aggression to deter them from destroying the place. But I thought, why are they allowed to wander? Their parents probably has to work really hard to put their 4 or more children to school and food on the table.
Why couldn' they just hold back and have less children if they cannot afford it.
Children are a big part of our future and in a country like Singapore, the standard of living is so very high. Having children is important but we must also be responsible human beings. Our children require maximum attention and care. It's not a pet or an object of our belonging. We have to be sure that we can manage them well if we were to have them.
This week we'll be at Junction 8. If you guys want to come visit me or watch the show, please feel free.
I probably need to apologise for not being able to meet up with you guys these few weeks. When I end this assignment, I would be able to accompany Es and Huli and the rest of the gang out. So please bear with me. Thanks guys. And Blackie and Ivy, hope you guys have a romantic and magical Christmas in UK. Till then.
Xin
Now, part of my job is to help out in the activities sessions held by the organisers. Some of the activities include colouring contests, clay making workshops, mask making workshops and a small compeitition called "Dino Morphing" contest, which I'm in charge of.
Well basically, the objective of the contest is to "transform" the toy from a robot to an animal within the shortest amount of time. The speediest compeititor will walk away with the toy itself. So i thought to myself, right, it's just a toy, the response shouldn't be that difficult to handle.
How wrong was I.
On the contrary, so many children spurred by their parents or by their own desire registered for this contest. Moreover, these children come repeatedly everyday to try their luck.
Many children are not very well off. And through interaction with their parents, they can't really afford these toys. The trend is that, these parents usually have a lot of children, tallying at 3 or more. We would think that they should really stop conceiving when they can't even afford to have more children. But why are they continuing to have children? Why are they allowing their children to have a poor life when they jolly well know that they cannot afford it?
This thought has been lingering in my mind the entire week. Not only the malay community, the chinese community as well. It saddens me to see that their children can't enjoy the things that other children enjoy, or get the same opportunities to learn that other kids have.
Furthermore, these children usually have lack of parental attention and begin wandering in shoopping malls. I got to know 4 malay boys who came to take part in the activities and contests together. Their parents were no where to be seen.
These 4 malay boys are really loud and mischievous and some even sprouted Hokkien expletives. Appalled but undaunted, I had to exert a bit of aggression to deter them from destroying the place. But I thought, why are they allowed to wander? Their parents probably has to work really hard to put their 4 or more children to school and food on the table.
Why couldn' they just hold back and have less children if they cannot afford it.
Children are a big part of our future and in a country like Singapore, the standard of living is so very high. Having children is important but we must also be responsible human beings. Our children require maximum attention and care. It's not a pet or an object of our belonging. We have to be sure that we can manage them well if we were to have them.
This week we'll be at Junction 8. If you guys want to come visit me or watch the show, please feel free.
I probably need to apologise for not being able to meet up with you guys these few weeks. When I end this assignment, I would be able to accompany Es and Huli and the rest of the gang out. So please bear with me. Thanks guys. And Blackie and Ivy, hope you guys have a romantic and magical Christmas in UK. Till then.
Xin
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]